- BA in Music Therapy, AAU (2008)
- MA in Music Therapy, AAU (2010)
- GIM- therapist, FAMI (2014)
- Part time PhD fellow at the Department Music Therapy, AAU since 1st. of December 2017
- Clinical music therapist in psychiatry and dementia care since 2008
Exploring person attuned musical interactions between carers and persons with moderate to severe dementia living in nursing homes
Prof. Hanne Mette Ridder – Department of Music Therapy, Aalborg University, Denmark
The purpose of the PhD is to define person-attuned musical interactions (PAMI) that can support carers in facilitating meaningful, person-centered care to persons with moderate to severe dementia living in nursing homes. By defining words, actions and themes that describe PAMI, the focus is on exploring the gap between research and clinical practice, and to bridge the gap by providing a theoretical understanding of PAMI leading to specific recommendations of applicable methods for carers.
The study contains three parts:
- a systematic review in order to explore the existing knowledge of how PAMI is understood and can be applied interdisciplinary in dementia care.
- six transcribed workshops where experienced music therapist are exploring PAMI analysed by applying phenomenological text analysis.
- ethnographically informed participant observation of the interactions between carers and persons with dementia living in nursing homes.
The use of different data-collecting methods will make it possible to validate by triangulation and develop a multi perspective understanding of PAMI.
Which theoretical, clinical and methodological elements define person attuned musical interaction (PAMI) with persons with moderate to severe dementia living in nursing home?
- How is PAMI between carers and persons with dementia applied, understood and conceptualized according to evidence based research?
- How do music therapists experience PAMI in their practice with persons with dementia?
- a) How does PAMI unfold in the practice between carer and the person with dementia b) Which musical components define PAMI with persons with dementia living in nursing homes?
- How can PAMI can be disseminated to carers through a manual?